Sunday, June 17, 2012

Exclusive Investigation: Ijtema Tableeghi Jamat

In the Name of Allah, the Entirely Merciful, the Specially Merciful.

All praise is due to Allah, the King of the day of judgement.

Whenever I warned my dear brothers about the fitnah of Tableeghi Jamat, they would always invite me to come and experience their gatherings before making my judgement. Friday night, I decided to attend the Ijtema  organized by the Tableeghi Jamat. Following is my report on that. I have tried to put aside my personal opinion, and look at it objectively, but I am just a human.

According to my limited understanding, Ijtema is a gathering of Muslims, to remind themselves, and to learn their deen, and to leave with increased faith and more knowledge then one arrived. So, the main event will be the speeches, and this is what I wanted to see. To see what this Ijtema means for Muslim Ummah.

As I drove towards the Osceola High School, I saw the signs for ijtema, and as I entered the school, parking area was well organized. People were streaming in the school from every direction. I parked my car, and slowly walked towards the school. Most of the people were carrying sleeping bag and luggage, and it reminded me of Hajj. Jamat members were collecting money for dinner, but I already had dinner so I walked inside. When I came close to the auditorium doors, I was shocked to see people lying around with their luggage, and it was probably because I wasn't expecting that view.

It was almost Maghrib time, so me and another brother sat down in the front rows, and I was very impressed with the setup and organization. After adhan, salat didn't start for 15 minutes or so, and when it did, the recitation was very simple, which I liked, but was surprised that many of the Huffaz with a good recitation were not selected to lead salat. Finally, after salat, the famous announcement was made "After the rest of the salat, there is a very important talk on deen, please come closer." Then, the announcement said something which made my jaw dropped. He said, please do not leave, because this talk is the most important part. Wait. What!? So, this talk is more important then Salat? Anyways, the speaker came and sat down.

He started speaking without invoking Allah's name or any salutation to the Prophet (PBUH), and it was not a good start at all. Well, he started talking about our four stages, and the first stage being the womb. I think he forgot that the first stage is the soul staying in the heavens before womb, but anyways not a big deal. the speech was mostly about how Allah provides our need, and running after this world will take us away from Allah's path, which is all true and good reminders. However, he kept saying the we should practice our deen, but the only two practices he mentioned were Salat and going in the path of Allah, and the path of Allah was "tashkeel" of course, which he mentioned a couple of times.

First half of the speech was without any reference to Quran and Sunnah, and he gave one reference to a Quranic verse without mentioning the Surah or the verse number. So far, there was nothing that he said was new, which is not said regularly in the bayans for tashkeel in the masjid. All of a sudden, he mentions a pious person giving everything in his house to charity, and in the dream finds the location of burried wealth which the speaker called it "Barakah". I am not sure about this story. Was this dream from Allah or shaytan?  Anyways, nothing wrong with an anonymous story I guess. Then, he mentions a few of ahadith and stories of the companions that blew me away. They were more hand waves and conversation plugins. No reference of the narrator, or the book, just english translations.

First, he mentions that Abdullah bin rawah was stopped by the robbers, and he asked them if he could pray two rakat, before they killed him. They allowed him, and during salat, he said "Arhama Rahimeen", and angels on the highest heaven heard him and they came to help. Really!? who narrated this story? How this narrator knows what angels did? Doesn't sound authentic at all. Some ahadith he mentioned, I couldn't locate at all (when I came back home and checked), and only Allah knows if they are truly ahadith. Some were weak like the one about missing a salat will be punished by 80 years in hell fire. He didn't mention it, but I think it is knows to be from At-Tabari. By the time, he summed up his speech, a few men stood up among the crowd with a notebook and pen, and the speaker told everyone. Tashkeel is the path of Allah, as the companions were sent to fight, you should sign up with us to go out for 40 days. Oh my Allah. What religion is this? I could not believe that every speech ends with a call for recruitment. If Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) would have done that, only a handful would have remained in this deen. We can't ask for people to go in the path of Allah after every speech.

Well, brothers and sisters, I gave Tableeghi Jamat another try, hoping to be proven wrong by substantative speeches with authentic evidences, and no mention of joining Tableeghi Jamat, but none of that happen I am exhausted with this group, and I surrender to Allah my affairs and their affairs. I am no saint. I am no scholar. I am no wise man. I am just a Muslim, who follow Allah and his messenger, and Tableeghi Jamat has not shown any connection with Quran and Sunnah so far, and is not beneficial for me or anyone else. If I ever miss my brothers of Tableeghi Jamat or wanted to hang out among these cool dudes ( I really like them), I may visit their ijtema again, but this effort has lost all interest for me, Islamically. Not a bad idea to get away from the family for a day or two.

If any of you believe that this group has more benefits than harm, you may continue to associate with them, but I see more harm than benefit, and I will keep myself and my family away from this deviant group, and continue to advice who would listen. Please discourage this group as this is not healthy at all for this Ummah.

Reason for this group to be harmful and deviant is because they do not base their movement upon Quran and authentic Sunnah, and have established an aggressive cult that prioritize Tashkeel as going in the path of Allah.


 "And verily, this is My straight path, so follow it, and follow not (other) paths, for they will separate you away from His path. This He has ordained for you that you may have Taqwa." (Quran 6:153)

Imam Ahmad, Ibn Majah, in the Book of the Sunnah in his Sunan, and Al-Bazzar collected this Hadith. Ibn Jarir recorded that a man asked Ibn Mas`ud, "What is As-Sirat Al-Mustaqim (the straight path)'' Ibn Mas`ud replied, "Muhammad left us at its lower end and its other end is in Paradise. To the right of this Path are other paths, and to the left of it are other paths, and there are men (on these paths) calling those who pass by them. Whoever goes on the other paths will end up in the Fire. Whoever takes the Straight Path, will end up in Paradise. (Ibn Kathir)

Brothers, Prophet (PBUH), his compaions and generations after them did not consider any of these Tableeghi activites as path of Allah, and the path of Allah is the methodology of the Sunnah, which has no connection with Tashkeel that Tableeghi Jamat is promoting. Tableeghi Jamat is a new religion and a cult, and getting involve in it is serious innovation. It seems very innocent, but we don't need any new "Nisab", as the Prophet (PBUH) has already provided us with a nisab.

Oh my beloved Allah! I pray to Allah to you to discontinue these lines on our left and right, and keep us on the straight path. Keep us from any "Important Talk" that is not decorated with your speech. Ameen.

And Allah knows best


JazakAllah Khairin

A seeker of the path of Allah.
Abu Arman Jumani

No comments:

Post a Comment