Tuesday, April 20, 2010

When did I become a practicing Muslim?

In the Name Allah, the most beneficent, the most merciful.

Assalam-u-alaykum,


I was born in a Muslim family, but a non-practicing one. I hope you know the difference. My definition is that a practicing muslim is continuously making effort to remove Haram or forbidden element from his/her life, or adding Halal practices in his/her life. Whereas non-practicing muslim doesn't mind keeping Haram or forbidden element, and doesn't feel a need to learn, adopt, or discuss even basics tenents of Islam.

To be fair, there are two kinds of non-practicing Muslims. One that doesn't have knowledge, who can be taught to become a practicing Muslim. Other, that are afraid to change, or too ignorant to change, or too deep into sin to even understand what you are saying, who can only be nudged by a clamity or serious intervention from a life event.


Using above definition, majority of Muslims I know have abandon the struggle, and have give in to their daily routines which usually includes activities that are completely outside the circle of Islam. If I try to explain where they may be wrong, it would turn into a defensive argument where excuses would range from "no one does that", "I beleive in one God, and thats enough", to "leave me to my state".


I was also among them, and was not paying attention to what I say, or what I eat, or what I see, or what I hear... No one could tell the difference between me and a non-muslim.



Then, I moved to redmond, washington. First, I didn't notice anything, since I was busy with my non-practicing lifestyle.

However, since I was living alone there, I had alot of time to ponder.



Then, I made some friends that were practicing Islam, and something hit me. Some of my friends would not think twice about a certain thing, but these practicing Muslims would be very concerned about it.



They would make an effort to pray salat wherever they were. They would wear modest clothes and follow Hijab. They would not speak about non-mahrams in jokes or otherwise. They would not eat meat unless they are sure it was Halal. They would not listen to Music. They would always worried about the state of their I'man.



So, I started thinking. Why most of my family memebers and friends would not follow these simple compulsory elements of Islam? Also, I realized that I was born in a Muslim country, and called myself Muslim, but was not a Muslim at all. Islam was more like a hobby. If I followed the tenents, good and well. If I was busy, oh well, will catch up later.



One day I decided to pray salat out of Jumma' rotation (if you are non-practicing muslim, you know what I am talking about :-)). I liked it. It gave me a sense of belonging. It felt light, as I have paid back some debt. I started praying salat regularly. However, I didn't abandon any of the Harams from my life.



Finally, I realized that it doesn't make sense to mix Salah at some times with Haram at other times. It felt like washing my hands, then dipping my hands in dirt right after that.



That was the moment that I became Muslim, and my struggle began.



Since then, I have not looked back, and my life has become Jannah on earth!



Even if someone gives me a Million dollar, I would not stop the process.



Of course, I couldn't remove all the haram elements right away but the process was started.



If I am still alive, I will share other encounters with non-practicing Muslims, InshaAllah.



May Allah guide us all.

Adnan, a proud practicing Muslim

No comments:

Post a Comment