Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Ramadan Fever is Over !?!

In the Name of Allah,

All praise due to Allah, in whose hands is my life. I worship none but Allah, the creator, the sustainer.

Last night, I went for Maghrib Salat in the Masjid. Winds were calm, and weather was pleasant. As I drove into the Masjid road, something struck me as different. I couldn't figure out for a few minutes what it was. Finally it came to me. Today was 3 days after Eid. There were only 3 cars. Two were from the Imams, and one other probably the brother's who was untieing the wires from Iftar tent.

I almost broke down in tears, and fear came upto me. See, I got tied up with family activities since the Asr prayer on Eid day until that time, and I was feeling restless to go to masjid. Now, I felt guilty for not trying harder to visit masjid last 3 days.

As I slowly walk into the Masjid, the reality of Ramadan fever struck me. So, all the glory, and sincerity was halted in those Muslim's life? Where are they now? Are they praying Maghrib at home, or are they watching the Monday Night Football? Is this the new religion, Pakistani/Indian community has created?

Then, I start thinking about all those brothers I met during Ramadan. Wearing clean and bright religious traditional clothes walking up and down the Masjid waiting for iftar or Taraveeh. Some of them, I start becoming fond of them. They shook my hand, and ask questions, as I sat with them. I felt like the times of Prophet (PBUH) where people came in droves with utmost sincerity to Masajid.

Now, I wonder where are they. Middle aged brother who stopped shaving and I could see the white hairs in the growing beard, motivated me to pray salat with more attention, being jealous of his devoution. Aged person whose son brought him to masjid during Iftar time with dificulty that impressed me to start respecting my father more. Brother who wore the most elegant clothes for Salat, and made me shy of standing beside him. Brothers with long beards, floating around with Quran under their arm shaking people's hand.

I remember the group of brothers, who I love from bottom of my heart, would fight over the inches of the first row during Taraveeh. I see them now sitting in the last row for Fard salat. Brothers I know who forced out young man with short beard because their hairs aren't growing fast enough to lead Salat. Behind which Imam they pray their Maghrib Salat today? Taraveeh goers who would frown upon me when I had to go home after 8 rakat to attend a family affair. What is the count of their rakats today?

One night, I was walking out of the Masjid, one brother came upto me, and ask me a question. Now the question was very simple, and I have asked in different cases. He asked, "Salam, Do you know when is Taraveeh tonight?" I said right after I'sha. His got puzzeled. He asked with force this time. "What time?". I replied 9:30 PM for I'sha, and then 9:45 PM for Taraveeh. He said slowly but I could hear him. "Oh ok! 9:45 PM". I knew he was planning on skipping I'sha.

Now, I was born in Pakistan so I used to see this shift in people's life there. In fact, one of my relative has a hotel in Dubai, so I asked him when he was leaving. He replied, "I need to get back before Ramadan, so we can start renovation". I asked why in Ramadan. He explained to me that Dubai prohibits Alcohol and Dance parties during Ramadan, so the business is dead, which makes the perfect time for renovation. It gave the hadith about Satan being chained another meaning altogether. I start imagining Satans walking around in the streets of Dubai, looking for customers. I felt bad for those poor souls in Dubai who couldn't find Alcohol and entertainment during the blessed month. I bet Iblis celebrated Eid like no Human would. Dubai is open for business!

I don't say these things to look down upon them, as I myself missed 3 days of Salat in Masjid, but there has to be sincere love for Allah and Masjid. It is worst in Indian/Pakistani culture, because we have made them part of our culture.

I pray to Allah that I am able to see those brothers before next Ramadan, as I may not be alive until then. More importanly, May Allah allow us to attend Masjid regularly.

JazakAllah
A struggling Muslim
AbuArman

No comments:

Post a Comment